Cumulative Update 6 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 18.104.22.16802, Released on 13th of March, 2023)
This cumulative update (CU) brings updates to the PDF file type, robustness fixes for the integration between Studio and our cloud platform as well as general bug fixes.
Support for language-specific QA checks in cloud projects
When using cloud projects, it is now possible to define QA Checker settings at target language level. To support this enhancement, Trados Studio has extended its cloud compatibility to enable language-specific QA settings coming from cloud projects. This complements the existing functionality to work with different QA Checker settings per target language for Trados GroupShare and local projects.
Updated PDF conversion technology
Starting with this release, Trados Studio uses a new mechanism and underlying technology for processing PDF files in translation projects.
This new technology provides PDF support similar to the previous vendor and, overall, you should get similar results when working with PDF files in Trados Studio. However, the new PDF file type converts PDF project files into translatable format slightly differently, which can lead to the following differences when compared to previous Trados Studio versions:
- Differences in analysis statistics.
- Differences in TU lookup results due to changes in how PDF text formatting and segmentation is now handled.
- Differences in how images are recovered when generating the translated PDF files.
- Differences in how special characters and symbols are processed. If you use Asian languages or other non-Latin based languages as source languages, we recommend that you enable the new Use alternative processing (better for non-Latin based languages) option in the PDF file type settings.
- Differences in PerfectMatch. If you ran PerfectMatch on a PDF file converted with the previous file type and now run PerfectMatch on a new bilingual file using the new file type, not all PerfectMatch segments may be transferred to the new file. To work around this, you can use the setting "Ignore formatting" in the PerfectMatch settings.
Conversion settings for new and existing projects
Your existing PDF file-type configuration will continue to work. However, the Conversion settings for new PDF-based projects will change as follows:
- Layout - remains and existing setting will be remembered.
- Headers and footers - no longer available, will always be extracted now
- Detect tables - no longer available, will always be extracted now
- Image recovery - no longer available, images are kept, but no text is extracted
- Recognize PDF text - no longer available, images are kept, but no text is extracted
- New setting Use alternative processing (better for non-Latin based languages)
Support for scanned PDF documents
Support for scanned PDF documents using OCR (optical character recognition) is limited out of the box.
If a PDF file contains merely a scanned picture of the underlying document, then the new technology will not be able to convert the document. If, on the other hand, the document is scanned but the text in it is selectable, then the technology will attempt to convert the characters within the document.
You can test this in Adobe Reader, for example. If it's possible to select any text in the document, then the technology should be able to attempt to convert it.
The IRIS app is no longer supported as a complement for the PDF file type. We recommend that you use the new PDF Assistant for Trados Studio app for optimized support of scanned PDF documents regardless of source language (see below for details).
If you need more advanced support for scanned PDF documents, we recommend the following options:
- Install the new PDF Assistant for Trados Studio app. This is a new, free app, that we have developed especially for this change. It uses a new and sophisticated approach to PDF conversion and is available from within Trados Studio > Add-Ins tab > RWS AppStore, and from the RWS AppStore website.
In this first release, PDF Assistant for Trados Studio uses Microsoft Word behind the scenes to perform PDF to DOCX conversion. It uses Word's rich capabilities to handle scanned documents and documents in a variety of languages, including bidirectional and Asian.
- Use Microsoft Word’s built-in PDF. This accepts PDF files, including OCRed, for opening files and can save them out in Word .DOCX format which you can then process as usual.
- Use Adobe Reader built-in function to save PDF documents in Microsoft Word format. This option can be purchased as a subscription.
- Check out third-party solutions, such as Abbyy Fine Reader or Readiris. These can convert OCRed PDF documents to Microsoft Word format. These solutions are available as perpetual licenses or on subscription.
We will keep updating and refining this new PDF Assistant for Trados Studio app to give you the best possible PDF conversion capabilities. We have developed this app with extensibility in mind, so in future updates, we may integrate other conversion providers into the app.
For more information, see the PDF Assistant for Trados Wiki.
Besides updating the app, we are committed to continuing to improving PDF support with future updates and are in constant touch with our new vendor around this. While we are transitioning to the new technology, we are keen to get your feedback around this change via the Trados Studio user community.
Optimized support in the AppStore plugin integration
To enable third-party developers to better integrate their plug-ins with Trados Studio, we are now providing additional support in the AppStore plugin integration for aligning plugin releases with the specific CU product releases of Trados Studio. Previously, only the first two digits of the semantic version were recognized.
- Trados Studio displayed an “Invalid URI: The URI string is too long” error message when attempting to open a project that included a cloud translation engine with a large number of termbases. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-32139)
- When generating the target file from a Markdown file format, some translated segments from table contents were lost. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-31830)
- When deleting comments on segments with tracked changes, Trados Studio displayed an Object reference not set to an instance of an object error under certain circumstances. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-27522)
- Fixed an issue where Advanced Display Filter did not filter correctly if the segments contained tracked changes or translation quality assessments (TQAs) in the target. (CRQ-25062)
- Trados Studio failed to create new local projects in the One Step Wizard if the Export for Bilingual Review batch task was added to the Prepare Project without Project TM task sequence. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-24359)
- Updated link behind the Reset Activation Code URL in the Activation Wizard window. (CRQ-31946)
- When running concordance search against cloud-based translation memories, Trados Studio could not display the result list correctly in some cases and displayed the error "Different number of items in the markup segment than in the lingua segment" error. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-26056)
- Updated link behind the Language Weaver logo. (LG-36981)
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio to crash in some cases after displaying a "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Source error". (SDLCOM-4356)
Cumulative Update 5 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 22.214.171.12457, Released on 14th of December, 2022)
This cumulative update (CU) brings robustness fixes for the integration between Studio and our cloud platform as well as general bug fixes.
Manager View improvements
The Manager View comes with the following improvements:
- You can now hide the ribbon and use the whole screen when switching between the views.
- New shortcuts have been added for easier navigation:
- TAB - switch focus through all items from Feedback section to Projects list to Files list and back to Feedback section.
- Shift+F10 - open the burger menu of the highlighted project from Project list (only for supported projects)
- Down/Up - arrow keys can be used to navigate the Projects list, Files list and Add Project, Sort by, Burger, Translate and Batch tasks menus.
- New icons have been added for sorting ascending and descending for the Files area: Name, Words, Size, File Type Identifier, Usage, Status and Progress.
- A new horizontal scroll bar has been added in the Files View and now all columns are visible.
Public AppStore available again in Trados Studio
The public Trados AppStore is available again and fully functional for anyone installing Trados Studio for the first time. So you can now search for apps and update them directly from Studio and from the browser. For users updating to CU5, only one web address (URL) now serves the official AppStore on the web as well as the AppStore integrated with Studio (Add-Ins - RWS AppStore). The address that was previously used to access the private AppStore is no longer required (but will still work for a while to allow you to change back to the official AppStore at your own pace). To connect to the public AppStore from Studio, in Add-Ins - RWS AppStore - Settings deactivate the Private AppStore check box and tick the RWS AppStore checkbox.
- The AutoSuggest suggestion list now takes DPI settings better into account and scales properly on different screen sizes. This is particularly useful for screens with a 4k resolution where DPI settings are high. (CRQ-29005)
- Accessibility: You can now navigate to the top buttons in the Servers dialog by keyboard using the <Tab> key and navigate the buttons using the arrow keys. (CRQ-30832)
- The Project Settings button now remains active when opening a file in the Editor view. This allows you to change project settings without having to switch views. (CRQ-29553, CRQ-29547)
- The Comment text field in the TQA window is no longer editable if the “Require a comment from the reviewer for this category” option in the TQA settings is disabled. (CRQ-28840)
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio not to refresh information across projects correctly, i.e. displaying files from one project as belonging to another. This only occurred when signed out from your cloud account. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-26813)
- The default severity in TQA settings has been changed from “None” to “Minor” to facilitate typical scenarios where most changes during a quality assessment review are minor. (CRQ-22444)
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio to crash when saving an *.sdlxliff file, after applying specific TM matches on locked segments by using Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and similar keyboard shortcuts. (CRQ-31356)
- Trados Studio displayed an “Invalid URI: The URI string is too long” when attempting to open a cloud project that included a translation engine with a large number of termbases. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-31151)
- Term recognition now works consistently across segments, even when segments start with non-alphabetical characters, such as the ampersand (&). (CRQ-30553)
- Fixed an issue that caused an “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” error when opening *.docx files which contain unapplied track changes. (CRQ-31673)
- Trados Studio now features an enhanced check for changes before attempting to check in a file from Trados GroupShare and prompts the user to save the file in case of any unsaved progress. (CRQ-29545).
- Fixed an issue where the cursor would behave erroneously under rare circumstances, and content was incorrectly inserted in segments when using the Backspace or Delete keys in Tracked Changes mode. (CRQ-29113)
- Trados Studio correctly creates analysis reports even if the active project changes while batch tasks are running. Fixed an issue where no analysis report would be created if the user would set another project as active while the Analyze Files batch was still running. (CRQ-20945)
- Trados Studio no longer consumes license seats if network license activation is unsuccessful. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-13017)
- When using the Save To Cloud functionality for Studio projects containing custom XML files, it was not possible to save these files as target files at the end of the project cycle. The issue has been fixed and any files based on custom local file type settings in Studio will now be saved properly as cloud projects. (CRQ-29302)
- An earlier version of the DITA file type was selected for conversion. DITA files would still roundtrip fine. The issue is now fixed and the latest version of the file type will always be used. (CRQ-31835)
- Fixed an issue where Studio API for project automation failed with error "Failed to create an instance of translation provider" when trying to initialize TM provider. (CRQ-31088)
Cumulative Update 4 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 126.96.36.19909, Released on 17th of October, 2022)
This cumulative update (CU) brings robustness fixes for the integration between Studio and our cloud platform as well as general bug fixes. As a key enhancement, this CU delivers the ability to use the Any TM functionality with cloud translation engines.
Following the changes included in this CU, we also made available a new version of Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack. We recommend downloading the new version for the best possible experience when using Trados Studio. You can download the latest Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack from the RWS App Store.
Manager View (Beta) updates and improvements
The kebab menu of a project card in the Project List now includes several more actions which give you more control over managing and working with projects.
The following actions are available:
- Mark as Complete - files of completed projects are no longer editable.
- Revert to in Progress - marks the project files as editable.
- Create a Project Package from the corresponding project. For more information about project packages see Package and return package workflows.
- Remove Project - removes the project from the project list. The project files and all other related files are still available in the project directory.
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio to incorrectly calculate segment breaking-points, which resulted in randomly split segments for HTML files embedded in Excel. (CRQ-30843)
- Trados Studio no longer disconnects from the subscription licensing when in idle mode and the error "Connection to cloud failed. Try again later" no longer appears. (CRQ-27036)
- Fixed an issue that occurred when Pre-Translating/Analyzing Files during project creation for project templates that used cloud machine translation in certain flows. (CRQ-24339)
- Fixed an issue where content was incorrectly inserted between segments when working with DOCX documents with Track Changes enabled. (CRQ-24245)
- Switching between files with different Advanced Display Filter applied caused Trados Studio to throw “String was not recognized as a valid DateTime” error. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-23920)
- Fixed an issue that corrupted the translatable file when clicking the “Generate” button under Advanced Display Filter 2.0 > Repetitions > First Occurrences if the file had unsaved changes. Trados Studio now prompts you to save to file to avoid this scenario. (CRQ-21713)
- Trados Studio would throw „null reference exception” when attempting to browse for the Preview file from Project Settings > Embedded Content Processors. To fix this issue the „Browse for preview file” functionality was moved and can now be found under File Types > Browse > Preview. (CRQ-9002)
- Fixed an issue where Trados Studio would incorrectly display “License expired” message under random circumstances when using the 30 day Trial license. (CRQ-11737)
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio to replace the HTML DOCTYPE declaration header with an XML declaration header when processing an HTML file using the XHTML file filter. (CRQ-29110)
- When typing the first letters of a server-based Translation Memory, different sub-organization TMs were being suggested. The issue is now fixed. (CRQ-17187)
- Fixed an issue where no matches were found when adding TMs via AnyTM to projects that use a cloud translation engine. (CRQ-24980)
- Fixed an issue where the font would change for the target segments when Copying Source to Target, if the text contained characters from the Unicode Private Use Area. (CRQ-27779)
- Opening a cloud project that had multiple files with multiple target languages and tasks assigned to multiple groups caused Trados Studio to throw „ErrorCodeBadRequest” error. This issue is now fixed. (CRQ-24085)
- The GroupShare check-in functionality for files causing potential file versioning problems has been changed to no longer prompt the user. The user could choose "No" on the prompt, and this was still causing duplicate versions in some cases. (CRQ-29324)
- Fixed an issue where rejected tracked changes would not be counted after running an analyze task when a TM was present. (CRQ-27180)
- Fixed an issue where an error occurred when adding server credentials through the API in Studio 2022. (CRQ-30341)
Cumulative Update 3 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 188.8.131.5295, Released on 23 August 2022)
This cumulative update (CU) brings robustness fixes for the integration between Studio and GroupShare as well as improvements for bi-directional text editing.
- Opening a GroupShare project while logged in as a user with roles in parallel organizations could result in Trados Studio displaying only projects from the first organization the user had a role in. The issue is fixed in this CU. (CRQ-30686)
- Trados Studio now properly appends commas (,) and other weak directionality characters on the left-hand side of characters in bi-directional languages, such as Arabic. (CRQ-30613)
Cumulative Update 2 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 184.108.40.20672, Released on 4th of August 2022)
This cumulative update (CU) serves as an emergency patch for users that receive “User <username> not found” error after upgrading to CU1.
- The changes in this update fix the issue that occurs when Studio users attempt to check out files from GroupShare projects or even open GroupShare projects where they have tasks. These actions resulted in "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" or "User <username> not found" errors. These errors no longer occur in CU2.
Cumulative Update 1 for Trados Studio 2022 (Build 220.127.116.1152, Released on 28 July 2022)
This cumulative update (CU) brings several improvements, fixed issues and API enhancements for plugin developers.
- When editing Japanese target text, the cursor behaved unexpectedly, sometimes appearing in the middle of a character for some Japanese symbols. This issue is now fixed. (CRQ-29205)
- Commas and other weak directionality characters were incorrectly placed when editing segments in right-to-left languages. This issue is now fixed. (CRQ-29182)
- Important note for users of the new Multilingual Excel App: The changes and improvements included in this CU affect compatibility with the Multilingual Excel file type. To avoid stability issues such as crashes when confirming segments, we highly recommend that you update the Multilingual Excel app version to version 18.104.22.168 immediately after updating to Trados Studio 2022 CU1. You can use the integrated App Store for this purpose (Add-Ins -> RWS App Store)
- The Batch Delete function now works as intended when deleting units with filters applied from file-based TMs. (CRQ-19024)
- Applying source tags on target text no longer lists as tracked change when working with Track Changes enabled. (CRQ-22190)
- The integrated AppStore now points to the new AppStore instance by default so that you can install and update your apps more easily than before.
- Fixed an issue that caused an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when switching between documents from different projects. (CRQ-29445)
- Opening a project package using the Open Project flow caused Studio to display an error message and crash. This action is no longer possible in CU1 and later and the issue is now fixed. (CRQ-28146)
- Trados Studio no longer displays „Value cannot be null, Parameter name: Path” error message when switching GroupShare project phases from within Studio. (CRQ- 28131)
- Fixed an issue that prevented Studio from adding AnyTM: Any file-based TM to GroupShare projects. (CRQ-28007)
- Files are now properly synchronized between Trados Studio and the Trados cloud platform when translating very large documents.
- Studio no longer returns error code 422 when trying to save a local project to cloud that has an apostrophe (') character in the title.
- Fixed an issue that caused Trados Studio to erroneously assign users to tasks set in cloud projects. (CRQ-26207)
- Trados Studio no longer displays „Confirmation statistics word count is greater than the total number of words” error after merging any two segments and saving the file on a GroupShare project. (CRQ-25210)
- Fatal start-up crashes no longer occur after upgrading to another CU if the WorldServer app is out of date. (CR1-24910)
- Fixed an issue that resulted in „A task was cancelled” notification and application freeze when trying to open a file after switching cloud accounts. (CRQ-24450)
- You can now copy and paste a file path into the File Dialog when running the Export Files batch task. (CRQ-23959)
- Keyboard shortcuts now navigate properly in the tree view of the Open Trados GroupShare Project dialog. (CRQ-21228)
- The Verification API now allows third-party developers to extract the source and target text when running the Verification Task and display the text in generated reports. For more information check out the Trados Studio Plugin samples at https://github.com/RWS/trados-studio-api-samples