Unable to install the CME and Topology Manager websites in the same port in SDL Web 8
SDL Web 8
When attempting to run the SDL Web 8 Content Manager installer and using the same port to install both the CME and Topology Manager websites, the following message will be shown: "Port <portnumber> is already specified for another website".
This error message occurs as the SDL Web 8 installer does a check on the port entered, detecting when the user has entered the same port twice. This has been recognized as a defect in the installer that is fully addressed in the next major release.
As a workaround in SDL Web 8, we need to disable the port check by installing the Content Manager and the Topology Manager in two separate runs, as detailed below in the 'Resolution' section.
To be able to install both websites in the same port (with different host headers), we need to turn off the port check done by the SDL Web 8 installer, by following the steps below:
Run this command in Powershell to install only the CM: .\SDLWeb8CM.exe DISABLE_CM_TTM_DEPENDENCY=1
Uncheck the box ‘Topology Manager as below:
3. When you reach the Website dialog, select the IP address of the server and fill in the port and host header:
In our example, we are installing the CME website in port 80 using hostheader cmetest.
These are the contents of the hosts file for this example:
4. Continue clicking next until the installation is completed.
5. Press finish and reboot the server as suggested. 6. After reboot, check in IIS that the CME website has been installed and that you can log into the CME, as below:
In this example, we browse to the CME using: http://cmetest:80 as defined in the bindings.
7. Open a Powershell command and run this command now to install Topology Manager: .\SDLWeb8CM.exe WEB_PORTS_EXIST="99"
Note: Port 99 is a free port and this is to skip the port validation.
8. Select the option ‘Modify’. 9. Once you reach this dialog as below:
Select the IP address, fill in the port number – the same port as the CME website, in our example, port 80 and fill in the host header – in our case topology.test (also matching the host header present in the hosts file)
10. Before pressing next, open IIS and completely stop the CME website. 11. Go back to the installation screen and now press Next and once you reach this dialog:
12. Before pressing next, go back to IIS and start the CME website. 13. Click Next and then select Install. 14. Let the installation proceed and finish completely. 15. Reboot the server again as suggested and click finish. 16. To validate that the installation was successful, open the browser and navigate to the TTM URL, in this case: http://topology.test/ttm201501